Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mockingjay: The Final Book in The Hunger Games

Spoiler Alert: As this blog is about the final book in The Hunger Games series, it may contain spoiling information. :)

************************************************

The final book, Mockingjay, of Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games series was incredible, almost indescribable. The connection I had with the characters remained strong throughout the last novel. 

I felt every piece of hope, sadness, loss, and anger that Katniss described. The writing style of the entire series had me hooked and wanting more. 

However, I couldn't help feeling a little empty at the end. The conclusion of the trilogy seemed to be lacking something. It was if a void had been created inside of me and (four days after completing it) I still can't pinpoint exactly what gave birth to this disappointment. 

After the roller coaster of going through two hunger games with Katniss, witnessing her fall into love, fight for her life, and struggle to accept herself, when it was all over, I felt as empty as Katniss seemed in the last few pages. 

Perhaps that was what Collins had in mind though. Fighting for survival alongside Katniss brought the reader into her world. At the end, most of everything she loved was gone forever, never to be brought back. Maybe the void I feel is a mirror of what Collins believes Katniss felt. If this is indeed the case, then Collins got the exact reaction she wanted. 

(Not that that stopped me from scribbling down a few pages of text for myself, altering the ending, and bringing a smile to my face.) 

I definitely plan on reading this series again, and if you haven't read it, then do not hesitate to buy it and spend a few days in the world of the Katniss and district 12. 
Mockingjay on Amazon
rating: 4/5 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment