Friday, March 16, 2012

Only the Strongest Survive

When Emely Donnovan, one of the richest CEO's in America, is kidnapped she expects a ransom, a demand for money, anything but being buried alive.

Ian Fox's novel Only the Strongest Survive follows the kidnapping of Emely Donnovan, a woman who built her fortune with hard work and the ruthless need to succeed. After growing up in a convent, as an orphan, she knows that she is the only one she can depend on and strives to make herself a rich, luxurious life. Never wishing to return to the status of poor.
Sheelamohan

Then Emely's taken hostage by vengeful brothers. And buried alive.

Only to be dug up by one of the brothers, John, who forces her to live in a small basement room and do what she does best: play the stock market and make him 10 million dollars.

Then she's free to go.
* *
Only the Strong Survive was a novel that had me holding my breath. From the opening scene to the final sentence, I felt like I was in the novel, living every word. Afraid of what the next page would hold. Ian Fox does a wonderful job at grabbing the reader's interest and refusing to let go. 

Stockholm Syndrome plays an important role throughout the novel, and the way that Fox worked it in was so authentic, I found myself feeling the same thing towards Emely's captor at every moment. I was weary of this at first because Stockholm Syndrome seems hard to relate to, but the writing style of Fox quickly diminished that. 

When Emely was scared, I was terrified. When she was happy, I was ecstatic. 

I was in the shoes of the main character, trusting every word I read. And it was wonderful. 



                     on Amazon
                    
                         rating: 5/5 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment