Monday, October 8, 2018

Stalking Jack the Ripper

40727470Hello all! It's been quite some time since I posted anything. Between a new job and a newborn baby, my plate has been overflowing. But, I finally finished reading a book! And it was wonderful. This book was given to me by one of my best friends and I started it nearly six weeks ago. Somehow, between feedings, naps, and late nights, I finally completed Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco.

Here's the synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.


Review:
This historical fiction/mystery crime novel was very entertaining. Though I didn't have the time to become completely enthralled, I feel like if given the proper attention, then this book could consume a reader's entire day (or night).

I really enjoy historical fiction so I also enjoyed Maniscalco's interpretation of Jack's reign of terror. She combined some interesting scientific advancements and trials of the time to add to the plot. The characters were also intriguing. I liked Audrey Rose's resistance to the typical stereotype associated with the late 1800s woman. She fought against the poufy skirts by studying science, specifically forensic science. The love interest, Thomas, who is a suspect at one point, was also intriguing. He seemed like a dark and twisty kind of guy but turned out to be a sweetheart with a scarred past. Just the way we romance readers like 'em! *wink wink*

It was also very satisfying to be right about the identity of Jack the Ripper, though the blurb "I was the girl who loved Jack the Ripper" kind of limits the suspect list.

I do recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction and young adult novels. However, I feel I must add that this book has some gruesome descriptions along with a couple creepy photographs! (Add a dark and stormy night to induce chills.)

Rating: 4/5 Cups

(Can't believe I got this whole thing written while my little one sleeps! Maybe I should change the name of the blog to A Mom Who Reads so the interruptions are already implied! haha! Happy reading!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment