Sunday, July 1, 2012

Ethereal (Celestra #1)

"Sixteen-year-old, Skyla Messenger is a dead girl walking. 

When her newly remarried mother moves the family to Paragon Island, to a house that is rumored to be haunted, Skyla finds refuge in Logan Oliver, a boy who shares her unique ability to read minds.

Skyla discovers Logan holds the answers to the questions she’s been looking for, but Logan’s reluctance to give her the knowledge she desires leaves her believing Logan has a few secrets of his own. 

Skyla’s bloodlines may just be connected to the most powerful angelic beings that roam the earth, and the more she knows, the more danger she seems to be in. 

Suddenly an entire faction of earthbound angels wants her dead, at least she still has Logan, or does she?" - Goodreads Blurb



*May Contain Spoilers*

Addison Moore creates a world where angels walk the earth in her novel, Ethereal, the first in the Celestra series. As a young adult novel, this book surprised me. (Who am I trying to kid? I love YA!) Overall, I think this novel was a great read. I had a few problems here and there, but for the most part I definitely recommend it. After all, I've already purchased the second one. 

Skyla is the main character who discovers she is an angel and that her life may be leading to danger. I liked Skyla for the most part, but I feel Moore could have dove deeper with Skyla so that readers would form a better connection with her. She's a cranky teenager who hates her new step-father, misses her (deceased) father, doesn't exactly like her new siblings, doesn't understand her mother, and has crushes on two gorgeous guys. She also doesn't seem to have a filter between her brain and mouth, which admittedly makes for some pretty funny situations. 

I just wanted her to have more depth. She seems to have a flip-flop personality, obviously not knowing what she really wants. But she is a teenage character, so what more can we expect? I'm looking forward to her growing as an angel in the next installments in the series. 

The plot line, I must say, was well planned out, with only a few minor hiccups. But I did feel like Moore rushed through the novel. Because of that, the novel was never idling, however it did create confusion in a few spots. I would find myself asking "What?!" out loud, only to return to the previous page to re-read it and work it out in my head so that the flow made sense. My only suggestions when picking up this novel: read slow and have a few hours of free time ahead of you. :) Happy Reading!

on Amazon
rating: 3/5 cups


No comments:

Post a Comment