Friday, September 21, 2012

Gone Girl


On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet? - Goodreads

*May Contain Spoilers*

I have no excuse as to why I waited this long to read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn except that it was out of stock everywhere until last week. And now I can see why. This is the most psychotic, demented, unpredictable novel that I have ever read. Period. 

As my reviews revolve around character connection, I'm not sure what to say exactly. Mainly because Flynn didn't write the characters as likeable people. I honestly don't like Nick or Amy one bit. Author success. But I loved the story  she crafted with cobwebs of deceit and rolling waves of raging revenge. 

Nick's main problem was that he was too scared of what everyone was thinking about him. He lost focus of the man he wanted to be and let his sociopathic wife steer him towards demise. And Amy. Oh, Amy. I loved the diary version Amy. Just like she (Amy/Flynn) wanted. I fell in love with the diary version of the loving-stay-at-home-supportive-forever-wife. I was so drawn to this "Amy" that I legitimately wondered if Nick suffered from multiple personality disorder. 

Then Flynn introduced a new "Amy." A more hated version. A character that betrays the reader and leaves them reeling. At that point, I started to like Nick. His good qualities came floating to the surface. Though I feel as if I was tricked somehow, because those characteristics weren't even "good." He was playing the role of the man Amy wanted him to be. And I suppose when it's that or the death penalty... you must choose wisely. 

I devoured this book. I cannot believe that I'm already finished with it, as I had planned on it being my weekend read. But Amy and Nick got their claws into me and with the last period in sight I let out a slow sigh of relief. It was over. Though it's not. At all. Flynn leaves the last chapter wide open, allowing readers to create their own ending for Nick and Amy. I know I've already thought about how I'd like it to really end. 

I very highly recommend this novel as it will figuratively slap you in the face with surprise. Though, as a warning, it does have some gruesome details and a heap of inappropriate language. Also, I have chosen not to rate this novel because my scale doesn't include the correct amount of variables to be able to put a number on it. It has broken my rating scale which is both exciting and terrifying. Perhaps I need a new scale? 


 I would love to hear thoughts on this novel! Feel free to share yours if you'd like. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment