Friday, July 17, 2015

The One

18635016The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

*Contains Spoilers*

I wonder if it says anything about my personality that I always seem to like the last books in a series the best... No matter, it rings true for Kiera Cass and her novel, The One, the third novel of The Selection. America has made it to the Elite (one of the last girls standing in this prince themed bachelor contest) and soon Maxon will make his decision. But we've known all along that it would be America... if only she'd promise her love to Maxon. 

Throughout the whole series, America has been an 'off and on' likeable character. There have been moments that I hated her, and moments that I loved her. Examples? I hated her when she started sneaking around the castle with Aspen. I loved her when she tried to save Marlee from being punished. Her wishy-washy attitude and indecisiveness didn't help her cause. Though a love triangle can be confusing, I'm sure. In this third book, I have to say I was finally swayed to her side. She does in the end realize that she is in love with Maxon. Though it is almost too late. Readers also witness her reaction to the death of a family member, and that is a very relatable, heartbreaking, moment. And then in her selfless nature, she attempts to protect others with her life during a rebel attack. I wonder if any other readers had been on the fence about America until this book. 

The plot of The One is the ending to The Selection process. America, Kriss, Elise, and Celeste are the final four. America is still unsure of whether she really wants to be the princess. She has learned a lot about herself, her personality, and her heart in this contest. When she realizes that she's been holding back since Aspen broke her heart, America is determined to be open to Maxon. And that's when things get even more complicated. More rebel attacks with unexpected Northern allies, a marriage proposal, a huge betrayal, and near death experiences that include America getting shot! This third book is full of intense situations that all lead up to one thing: Maxon's marriage. My jaw dropped open more than once as I read the conclusion to America's story. The One is definitely an entertaining ride, and in the end, I am glad that Maxon and America came together. 

(Even if I was rooting for Kriss for a while there.)

And now... The Heir

Rating: 3.5/5 Cups

No comments:

Post a Comment