Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fierce Dawn


Snarling teeth, glowing eyes. Someone--something--is after her. The man who haunts her dreams enters her reality, claiming she's transforming into a changeling--not quite immortal but no longer human.

Battle lines are drawn and blood spills as the two fight not only for her life, but for mankind's as well. Conspiracy, vampires, human changelings? - Goodreads Blurb

*May Contain Spoilers*

Amber Scott's novel Fierce Dawn lowers the curtain between the mortal realm and the realm of the immortals. The book focuses on Sadie, a girl who isn't normal, by anyone's standards, but who wants to be more than anything. 

Scott writes Sadie's character as a girl who fears she may be insane. And with her sister thinking it too, it seems to be the path she's traveling down. After all, her mother was psychotic and delusional.

I love how Scott created Sadie with this image. It seems logical, and very believable, that a human being who can see into the immortal realm would think they were insane. 

But, honestly, I had a hard time connecting with Sadie. She's a likable enough character though demons haunt her past. She struggles like any young adult would without parents to guide her. The main reason I feel contempt for her is that she refused to ask for help: with her dreams, her crush, discovering she was a changeling, learning that someone was endangering her life, the fact that she was transitioning... 

Sadie only focused on the fact that she didn't want to be protected. And that's understandable, to a point. She has been over-coddled since she had a mental breakdown, but come on girl, you can't do everything on your own. Especially face an immortal who wants to kill you, and maybe your sister and cousin. 

The plot, overall, was well-thought out. I had no idea what was going to happen the entire novel. I tried guessing, but it didn't happen. I wasn't even close. I like when that happens. :) But... I did feel like the entire book was really fast-paced. Before I had enough time to absorb the information I had just read, the plot was rushing into new territory. 

Don't get me wrong, I like a thrilling novel that won't let me go, but I also like understanding what's going on. I felt confused and lost a few times. And I don't really like when that happens. 

rating: 3/5 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment